Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Introducing The ABCs of Skateboarding Animals

The ABCs of Skateboarding Animals was a book idea that I had carried around for some time. I have been a life long lover of Skateboarding and had wanted to include it into a book project at some point. Well during the summer of 2014, I had a month long gap between book projects and so I jumped on the opportunity to bring this idea to life.


The basic idea is that I would illustrated a cavalcade of animals all performing different skateboarding tricks that all corresponded with a particular letter of the alphabet. It was quite an interesting challenge to be able to match for each letter, but that challenge was half the fun I think. Christina designed some really funky 80s looking page layouts and it all came together very well.

One thing that I made to include was a glossary in the back of the book. It contained descriptions of all the skateboarding tricks and some background info on some of the more obscure animals. I felt that this way there could be a conversation between the reader and the child, without that reader needing a degree in Zoology or the skateboarding pedigree of Tony Hawk.

Check out the video below, to hear take a deeper look inside the book.



You can purchase The ABCs of Skateboarding Animals - HERE